A List of Simple Research Paper Topics in Sociology
Want to produce a decent sociology research paper but do not want to spend much time and effort on it? Just pick a topic that is both interesting and easy to write on. Here are few suggestions.
Racial and Gender Issues
- The correlation between race and class.
- The correlation between race and education levels.
- The role of media in promoting racial stereotypes.
- The correlation between ethnical culture and race.
- The comparative effects of environment and race on cultural identity.
- Gender inequality in the workplace.
- The gender bias in media/law/social interactions.
- Genderized occupations: are they ever justified?
Food and CommoditiesThese topics are often overlooked by students as “too mundane.” However, they are rich in accessible material and easy to write on.
- Social messages in food packaging.
- The cultural origins of most popular American foods.
- The relationship between the location of fast food restaurants and the levels of income in the neighborhoods.
- The influence of class inequality on food distribution.
- The evolution of serving sizes over time, its causes and effects.
- The influence of lifestyle change on the tradition of family dinners.
- The reasons behind the popularity of antiques.
- The symbolism of gold/gems in different cultures.
- The perception of fashion accessories in different age/income groups.
- Class segregation in cities.
- The effects of living in low-income neighborhoods on youth.
- The perception of taxation levels in the society: are they fair or unfair?
- The relationship between ghettos and youth crime.
- “Postcode discrimination” in employment.
- The time targeting of TV commercials. (What ads must be shown at which time of the day for best results?)
- The target audience and causes for popularity of a particular TV show.
- The presentation of a particular group of people (young men, young women, adolescents, the elderly, Black/Hispanic people, disabled individuals, or mentally handicapped) in the media.
- The demographic profile of listeners of a particular kind of music (rap, rhytm-and-blues, heavy metal, or techno).
- The TV watching patterns of young people.
- The evolution of children’s TV over a decade: is there less or more violence?
- Sexuality and gender stereotypes in Disney movies.
- Explore the history and influence of a particular youth culture: punk, emo, jock, or hip-hop.
- Investigate the history, causes, and outcomes of a well-known social movement or protest: Occupy Wall Street, Disability Right Movement, Fair Trade Movement, or any other.
- Explore the cultural roots and original purposes of a particular myth or legend: Leprechauns, Pandora’s Box, Lochness Monster, or Valhalla.
Sociology Term Paper Topics: 20 Interesting Problems To Explore
To create a good term paper in sociology is one of the easiest tasks that you can receive. This subject is so versatile and so easy to explore that almost any situation you ever faced in your life can be analyzed from the sociological point of view. If you want to make your paper appealing for your classmates, you have to discuss matters that are common to you all and provide solutions for them. Here are 20 interesting problems to take a look at:
- Gender stereotypes: How are these present in the society and how often we become aware of them? Give some well-known examples and explain why these can be damaging.
- Objectification of women. We can notice how the beauty standards become crucial in the life of every woman and how the media is dictating the look, behavior and qualities of women.
- Is technological progress causing damage? In many instances, the technology proved to be more dangerous than helpful.
- Discrimination against immigrants. Analyze the situation in your country and what solutions we can apply to stop this phenomenon from social and political point of view.
- Integrating immigrants in the society. They often come with a different cultural background, and they are considered abnormal by the mainstream society.
- Media and its role in public perception. Give examples on how media can influence opinions.
- Social media and the negative impact of standard communication.
- Feminism. Present the definition of feminism and how this can influence the society.
- Autistic children. Very often, they are perceived as being handicapped, when most of them are actually extremely gifted and intelligent.
- Present one historical even that changed the concepts of society. You can discuss a revolution, war or something similar.
- Socialization. How people learn how to socialize? Are we born with this quality or we develop it in time?
- The perfect age for marriage. Even if nowadays people tend to get married more and more late, apparently the ideal age is around 23.
- Extreme poverty. In some parts of the world, food and clean water are a luxury.
- Gender roles. What people expect men and women to do? Is this moral?
- Adoption by homosexual couples. Can this influence in negative way the adopted child?
- Religion. Most of the people feel the need to believe in a divinity, and it’s one of the most common human characteristics.
- The hierarchic structure of a group. Even when we don’t realize, each group has a leader, official or not.
- Globalization. What are the major effects of this phenomenon? Is it something positive or negative?
- How the place we live in can influence our personality? People who live in the rural area are different from the ones that live in a big city?
- Organ transplantation and the moral arguments that are supporting this procedure.