RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following statements of rights and responsibilities are not viewed as a final accomplishment of a completed institution, but rather as themes of a direction for a growing and changing educational environment.
Students enjoy the same basic rights and are bound by the same responsibilities to respect the rights of others, as are all citizens. Saint Augustine’s University considers individuals as students upon receipt of a deposit for admission.
1. The student as a citizen has the rights of freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of peaceful assembly and association, freedom of political beliefs and freedom from personal force and violence, threats of violence and personal abuse.
2. The student as a citizen has a right to be considered equally for admission to, employment by and promotion within the campus in accordance with the provisions against discrimination in the general law.
3. Saint Augustine’s University is no sanctuary from the general law; furthermore, the campus is a community of growth and fulfillment for all rather than a setting described in the concept of in loco parentis.
All students have other responsibilities and rights based on the nature of the educational process and requirements of the search for truth and its free presentation. These rights and responsibilities include the following:
1. Each student has the freedom, dependent on level of competence, to teach, learn and conduct research and publish findings in the spirit of free inquiry.
2. Each student has the right to pursue normal curricular and co curricular activities, including freedom of movement.
3. Students have the right to expect that their student records contain only information that is reasonably related to the educational purposes or to the health and safety of the individual or others. Furthermore, it is assumed that the student has the right to protection from unauthorized disclosure of confidential material contained in University records.
4. Students have the right to reasonable and impartially applied regulations, designed to reflect the educational purposes of the institution and to protect the safety of the campus.
5. Students have the right to recourse if another member of the campus is negligent or irresponsible in the performance of his or her responsibilities, or if another member of the campus represents the work of others as his or her own.
6. Students who hold opinions about basic policy matters of direct concern to them have the right to have their concerns heard and considered at appropriate levels of the decision-making process. It should be noted that students who have a continuing association with the institution and who have substantial influence have an especially strong obligation to maintain an environment supportive of the rights of others.
7. Student have the responsibility to act in a manner that is conducive to learning by being prepared, prompt, attentive and courteous in all academic settings (including classrooms, laboratories, libraries, advising centers, departmental and faculty offices, etc.) and complying with requests made by a faculty or staff member in an academic setting.
All Saint Augustine’s University students share the following responsibilities:
- To read, comprehend and adhere to the Code.
- To respect personal and property rights of others, and to act in a responsible manner at all times, on or off campus.
- To protect and foster the intellectual, academic, research, cultural, and social missions of the University and
- To observe the laws of local, state and federal governments and agencies.
The responsibility of students for academic achievement is specified in the University catalog. Student grievances over this responsibility are resolved through academic rather than judicial system proceedings. Complaints involving grades, plagiarism, cheating or other academic issues are also resolved through academic proceedings, which can be found in the University catalog and academic departments. The ruling of the administrator responsible for reviewing academic dishonesty of any kind may refer the case to the Judicial Administrator if suspension or expulsion is indicated. Each referred case will be adjudicated in accordance with the appropriate judicial process.
Disputes over the amounts owed by the student to the University for tuition, room and board, financial aid or other charges are not subject to this Student Judicial Code of Conduct and are resolved through administrative and if necessary, the legal process.
Organized Group Responsibilities
Policies and regulations which relate to the responsibilities of fraternities, sororities, registered student organizations and other groups are established by the agencies, which register, accept or charter such groups. As a condition of being recognized by the University, all such groups and their officers and members are responsible for conforming to this Student Code of Conduct.
Generally, matters or disputes arising out of an employment relationship between a student and the University are handled through the University’s Department of Human Resources.
There is a saying that children and students are the best hope of every nation. And as for me, I truly believe students do hold a great potential for the change and improvement of each country because in their young age many things have been developed such as quickening of transportation, long-distance and real time communication and many more that saves time for everyone, which they can utilize on thinking of way how could they help the people in their place. But, their potential doesn’t unlock when they get old, that even if they are young they have some capabilities to join and help the country like having participation on issues of our environment.
Basically, the problem in our environment have many causes and primarily the reason is because of human act. We have taken for granted many things and thus, making us irresponsible person most especially on taking care of our environment. Humans, in their venture on creating technology and discovering many things, have hold a great backfire towards the nature composing on many effects like the gravely change of climate, destruction of animals natural habitat, and a lot more that we can see and experience today. But all hope is not gone, as long as we have life there are something we can do particularly the next generation, or the students of today. These students can do their part on environment if they truly understand the current situation we are facing, that is why administration of schools have been pushing educating them about the possibilities of human irresponsible attitude towards nature. Among the lessons, being taught in the subject of protecting the environment is recycling of materials. Students have many materials that are using such as paper, pens, colouring materials, boards, and others which there are times that they just dispose them even if there are still possible things to be made out of them. Recycling is a helpful way of minimizing the volume of waste in our environment by maximizing the utilization of each things we get into our hand. Students can also practice the proper waste disposal and the segregation of waste. This is the most important act that everyone in this planet should do, because if we throw away our garbage on random places like in the side of the road, in rivers or what-so-ever location we can want too, eventually those waste can piled up until it is hard to control anymore. That is why we students, as early, as possible be, learn that we are accountable of our actions towards our environment. Then, in our way of disposing our things we should follow the segregation of waste from materials that are bio-degradable and non-bio-degradable, or from plastics, metals and papers. If students have discipline enough to follow these, then waste management can be an easy task too since most waste that are gathered are already categorised. Students also, in a way, can join community service that promotes the clean-up and preservation of environment like cleaning the park, river side, and seaside. Being able to join on such activity is a great opportunity on showing how students can protect environment in their young age. In some opportunity in their academic class, they are asked to design a research or invention that is related to saving and protecting environment that then lead to many products that are currently being deployed and furthermore studied.
Although, there are a lot more way or methods that students can express their role on environment I chose to discuss the most basics and important ones because students can do these things on their own without being told to. It is without a doubt, that students have a great capability to save the planet if they truly understood what chaos it will happen when we let greediness and undisciplined acts remains.